So, you all have been at it for one week! You are seven days into your New Year’s resolutions and fitness goals! Since many of you set goals that by their very nature will take a while to achieve, it is important to review your goal progress from time to time to make sure that you really are progressing and not just going around in circles. It is also crucial to take a moment and recognize and celebrate your small successes! Setting mini-goals will help you keep moving forward and give you something to celebrate instead of waiting until you reach the big ultimate goal (then you can REALLY party)!
Your self check-in should include:
Measurement: The method of measurement should be established at the start of the goal setting process, along with the baseline. By determining your current goal measurement (weight, speed, # of workouts, etc.) and comparing it with your starting point, you will be able to see whether or not you have progressed towards your goal.
Relevance: Goals are established based on your situation at the time of setting them. Has your situation relevant to this changed significantly? If there has been a significant change, is it still necessary or are you still able to achieve this goal?
Resources: Are resources (money, time, information, support) adequate? Is this holding you back from achieving your goal or do you find that you are really struggling?
think about each of the following…
- Is this goal easier or harder than expected?
- Can you take on more, or do you need to take smaller steps?
- Overall, are you happy with your progress? If you are, then great! If not, work out why and fix the problem.
- What are you doing well towards this goal? …and keep doing it!
- What do you need to do better to achieve this goal? …and do better!
- Are you enjoying this goal, or at least excited about the end result? Reward yourself for achieving mini-goals and milestones to keep you on your journey. Remember, the end result needs to be something you really want.
- Have you been honest and ethical in your progress towards this goal? Your highly moral sub-conscious won’t let you achieve goals if they have unethical components or if you haven’t been honest with yourself. Is this holding you back?
- Are you afraid of failure?…
I am incredibly impressed and proud of the steps I have seen many of the Northern Grrrls take this past week in achieving their goals! Keep it up everyone and keep working so hard! I know you all have it in you!
adapted from http://www.achieve-goal-setting-success.com